I repair desktops and laptops. I'm not just talking about re-installing Windows. I'm talking about taking a Weller 40P with a customized split tip and replacing blown capacitors, power adapter ports, etc. I'm the guy the other technicians call to fix the stuff they can't or won't. There was this one stretch of repairing a local school system's aging Dell Optiplex GX270's when Dell stopped replacing motherboards suffering from the capacitor plague... I almost swore off using my soldering iron after that... almost.
I'm a hardware geek, as anyone who reads the majority of my answers will pick up on. I've got more running computers in my home than I should (heat generation, electricity usage, promoted laziness for all the occupants, etc). Essentially, there's no computer in the bathroom (yet), but every other room has at least one that is used daily. No, it's not that I go out and buy BUY BUY ... I recycle machines for customers that upgrade, and I'm always on the lookout for something to put back into service... and I have a use for all of them.
I have to remember that people here ask questions and seek answers. I, on the other hand, solve problems. This means that there will be time where solving the problem doesn't answer the question, and I'm not being asked to solve the problem. I do this in real space, every day. People ask questions, and it is my job to be able to determine when I need to answer, and when I need to overlook and solve the underlying problems. I have to remember that here, on the net, it is only my place to answer. It kills me sometimes to let people continue with their problems, just for the sake of giving them an answer that is technically within guidelines, but that's MY problem.
Member for 8 years, 10 months
0 profile views
Last seen May 10 '12 at 3:28
- Super User 12.8k 12.8k 11 gold badge2121 silver badges3535 bronze badges
- Movies & TV 5k 5k 11 gold badge2020 silver badges3434 bronze badges
- Role-playing Games 692 692 55 silver badges99 bronze badges
- Web Applications 461 461 22 silver badges99 bronze badges
- English Language & Usage 443 443 22 silver badges88 bronze badges
- View network profile
Top network posts
- 38 What does Walt mean by 'Inertia'?
- 30 How to create a bootable USB Windows OS using Mac OS X
- 27 Why do computers often spin up the CPU fan to high speed momentarily when powered on?
- 25 Is Frank responsible for what happened in Donnie Darko's life?
- 23 Does a USB hub affect performance?
- 20 How was the flu so deadly in Season 4 of The Walking Dead?
- 20 Does the 2nd printing of Deities and Demigods have Cthulhu?
- View more network posts →