I began programming as an Electrical Engineer in the microelectronics industry more than 30 years ago.
I have always used very specialised automatic test equipment, which gives me an unusual perspective on how to solve software problems (usually by myself without recourse to libraries and frameworks). This is definitely not mainstream, but I don't create commercial software: my user-base is my fellow employees.
My contributions to SO probably seem other-worldly, but the programming environments I've used have never been Windows-based and only vaguely Unix-like.
HOWEVER — In late February 2010, I was admitted to hospital with a suspected stroke. Tests showed it wasn't a stroke, it is Multiple Sclerosis. Thus begins an inevitable slide into disability.
While I'm now back at work, hopefully for a few more years, I think the effort of engaging in SO (after a lull of over 12 months) might be too much for me. Besides, I can't type as fast as I used to.
Maybe hanging around SO would be some kind of therapy, and expose me to new ideas. I may even ask the occasional question, but after the sabbatical I had, I notice far more low-quality questions left by drive-by posters who typically leave poorly-worded questions and don't stay around to answer comments asking for clarification.
And the 'questions' worded like the OP is placing an order drive me crazy.
Sorry ... Grumpiness seems to be a side-effect of MS.
Member for 9 years, 10 months
8 profile views
Last seen Jun 13 '11 at 2:46
- Stack Overflow 13.7k 13.7k 44 gold badges2929 silver badges4545 bronze badges
- Super User 6.2k 6.2k 11 gold badge2323 silver badges2626 bronze badges
- Meta Stack Exchange 3.3k 3.3k 22 gold badges1818 silver badges1818 bronze badges
- English Language & Usage 3.3k 3.3k 33 gold badges1717 silver badges2323 bronze badges
- Server Fault 654 654 55 silver badges88 bronze badges
- View network profile
Top network posts
- 231 How can I delete a newline if it is the last character in a file?
- 81 Rename all files in a folder with a prefix in a single command
- 78 How do I rename a file to .htaccess in Windows 7?
- 70 How do I style a <select> dropdown with only CSS?
- 67 Can we get an indication comments are hidden between the comments?
- 66 How to deal with enormous line lengths created by mysqldump
- 55 How can I convert an HTML table to CSV?
- View more network posts →